Wednesday, October 15, 2008

You can learn a lot at Wal-Mart!

Well, we ventured out to Wal-Mart and yes it was accident free! And pertaining to my last post about venturing out to Wal-Mart with just my underwear on, was pertaining to Drew!! My brother-in-law pointed that statement out to me! Thanks Jess!! :)

Well, as I was shopping at Wal-Mart in my own little world, with Drew running down the aisles picking every box of food that he wanted out and trying to put it in the cart, this old lady was beside me and said, "Those were the good old days." I said, "I hope one day I can think that." She said, "Well, I think of it a lot now that I am old and alone." That really hit me, that I really need to start loving where I am at in life and not wishing it away so quickly. I sometimes tend to think about when they get older how much easier it will be, but they will be grown up and married before I know it. And then I thought too, that was a good opportunity for me to minister to her. I was not thinking about that at the moment, but I really need to start thinking more about Wal-Mart as my mission-field, since I am there about once a week. There are alot of people around me hurting and I am so oblivious at times. Lord open my eyes so that I can see other people around me. Help me not to be so consumed with myself and my own life. Amen!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sad. I wonder why she is alone.. if she is estranged from her children or maybe they all moved away from her. So sad! And makes me want to have 6 children so some of them might stay around me geographically!

Katie said...

Thanks for the reminder, Angie. It's so easy to get so consumed with the every-day needs of the kids that I forget the bigger picture. One of my friends was recently posting on her blog about how when we as stay-at-home moms are grumbling in our hearts about how hard it is or wishing away their babyhood, we're thinking just like the world does. She said, in essence, we're thinking, "this isn't worth my time-I'd rather be doing something else." That really hit me...I want to be a picture to the world of the beauty of the Gospel and loving my kids is one way to do that. What could be more important than sharing their little souls to see who Jesus is? Thanks again for the reminder!

Katie said...

Oops...I didn't mean "sharing their little souls" I meant, "shaping their little souls." Oops.

Patsy Scott said...

There was a time, raising my kids, when it was extremely hard. Very hard due to the fact that two of my four were battering at each other way too often. It seemed there was no peace in my environment to be seen. That's when mothers so so need each other. For support, encouragement and help in having some stamina. AND some good ideas how to handle things. To have a non-judgmental friend who understands it is a journey raising kids is one of the biggest blessings. Girls, I enjoy all your comments and am blessed at the wisdom the Lord is revealing to you.

Jenny said...

I assume, mom, that I was one of those kids that was battering the other? :-)

Angie, very good blog. I agree, my eyes need to be open to the mission field around me... in my neighborhood, work place, grocery store, hair salon. He loves all of these people so much and we can be His hands extended to them.

Thanks for sharing. Love ya!

Tami said...

Hey Ang! I totally agree with your comment about the Lord opening your eyes to those around you. I think that the Lord is showing many of us this in different ways. I just posted on my blog, "panicked for eternity" which speaks directly about those who are hurting and injured spiritually that we don't even see. I have to laugh though...I can absolutely see how you can be distracted with the boys...they are very busy! Especially Drew! :) HUGS - Tam