Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Life Goes On In the Frozen Tundra!

I have been living here in northwest Iowa for a year now, and I have learned that a little snowstorm and below freezing temps does not stop people here. I even went out in it yesterday. It was nuts, we got about 4 or 5 inches of snow, and everyone was still out. School wasn't delayed or cancelled, everyone just went on with their lives as if the snow was just sooo normal. Well, if they delayed or cancelled for the temps or snow, they probably would never go to school!! Unlike, Indiana that closes school for 2 or 3 inches of snow. I have learned too from last year to keep your vehicle running when you run in the grocery store or if you have to run any errands. I actually kept the van running while we were at the doctor's office. It was great to get into a nice warm vehicle. Since the high yesterday was about zero. I am looking forward to our next snowstorm tomorrow night. I think we are to get about 6 inches or more of snow. I am getting used to the fact that it snows here about every other day. It snowed on Sunday (that was the blizzard and high winds), we got about 3 inches, it snowed yesterday about 4 inches, and lets see it already snowed about 4 inches last week so that is a total of 11 inches so far folks! And it isn't even January yet! Oh, what a great winter we are in for!!!

4 comments:

Jess said...

Good idea on leaving the car running. Just don't let Bill find out. Love you Ang!

Meridee said...

When we lived in the frozen tundra (Red Wing, MN) it snowed alot too. What I liked about it, as compared with the lower states, is that the snow stays relatively beautiful. If the streets started to look muddy and disgusting, a new snow would fall and everything would again be a winter wonderland. That part of the "north" I appreciated. The part that was hard for me was the length of winter. It goes on and on and on! Oh well. No place is perfect until we get to heaven.

Anonymous said...

I'm beginning to understand why people from Iowa always talk about the weather. haha. Another thing to appreciate about all that snow is that you actually have enough to do "cool" stuff in - like build snowmen go sledding and snowmobiling, etc. That's what my friend Wendy says about Michigan anyway! Of course that stuff requires actually going OUT in the cold...

Unknown said...

Seriously, people ACTUALLY leave their car running while going shopping and running errands?!! Now that is something I have never heard of before! My locks stick on me ALL the time, so that is something I probably NOT do...they would stick on me while the car is running...that would SOOO happen to me! Have fun in your frozen Tundra!