Monday, November 17, 2008

Family Traditions!

Well, it is that time of year again to get our decorations out, start playing that wonderful Christmas music, and gain that fabulous 5 pounds of winter weight! This year is exciting because Drew is starting to understand Christmas this year. I am trying to teach him some Christmas songs to sing for everyone! It should be great!! This year we are going to celebrate our family Christmas the Saturday before we go to Indiana. We really want to start doing Maynard family traditions. I have heard of other people doing this too, celebrating Jesus' birthday by baking a cake together. We are going to do that this year and I am so excited to be able to start a tradition with our family. I want our children to understand the full meaning behind Christmas, the birth of our Lord Jesus! I want them to of course, enjoy getting gifts, but also giving too. I want them to be able to share the Love of Jesus with their friends and people they meet as they grow and get older. I hope they will never lose sight of the true joy of Christmas!

3 comments:

Patsy Scott said...

Ahh. yes, Drew is probably old enough to learn about the giving part of christmas... giving a gift, and that it isn't just his (and all kids) day to get. One year, the kids got so much, I wanted to scream, take it away! You really have to protect the true meaning of Christmas. ONe christmas when the kids were young, we thought we'd have a christmas without gifts. It made me realize the gifts ARE important they just need their limits.

Cindy said...

Hi Angie
We have the tradition of baking a birthday cake for Jesus, and then going to Christmas Eve. service, after returning we sing Happy Birthday to Jesus and open one present. I am so thankful we started that when our children were just babies. You will be blessed by it. My favorite Christmas pictures are of my 2 toddlers standing on chairs in the kitchen with icing all over their faces as we decorated the cake!
{the kids are preteen and we will again make our cake}
God Bless!
Cindy C

Jenny said...

I think this is a great idea Ang. I love it when you can start traditions with your family.
We hope to do this with our kids one day too.